Friday, November 17, 2006

New presses

It will be interesting to see how the creation of all of these new presses will effect poetry.

One thing it seems to call out for is more critical discussion. That's why I thought I would do my part and start writing reviews. But it seems the review as a genre is so old-fashioned and non-interactive. Seems like blogs or listserves would be the best space for discussions.

I just read an issue of American Book Review and I liked it a lot. Many good reviews. Michael McGee reviewed Gerald Bruns latest. Pierre Joris reviewed Jed's "Syncopations" and managed to call Clayton Eshleman a "quietist" (perhaps not the highlight of the issue...).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. Just reread those sentences in my review -- & see what you mean, though that's not what I meant: Eshleman actually constitutes a complete school of Unquietude all by himself. Rhetorically speaking, I wasn't pursuing the opposition between SoQ & Experiental/AG poets proposed 2 sentences earlier. Just wanted to point out that Rasula was able to intelligently read two excellent & very complex poets who are at the same time as different from each other as as CE & BA are . -- Pierre

6:34 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

I was a bit surprised by that reference. But I agree that there is quite a wonderful breadth to Jed's book. And certainly CE and BA are very different.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home