Friday, October 19, 2007

Memoir 5

One of early and important art experience: watching Truffaut's "Jules and Jim"with my mom when I was 8 or 9. I kept asking her why they were acting so weird (driving off cliffs etc) and my mom tried to explain, but finally she said, "some things are not easy to explain." This made the movie seem very profound to me, and for years I carried around that memory.

When I was in college I asked my mom, if she remembered watching a movie about a lover's triangle in which the woman drives one of the men off a cliff at the end. She said, "that sounds like Truffaut's "Jules and Jim"." So I watched the movie but it was a disappointment. For years I had remembered that confusing/thrilling experience of watching it as a child; watching it as an adult ruined that memory. It could be explained.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home