Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Best of the Year

These kinds of lists are pretty stupid but I really like them. I remember being a kid I always listened to this one top songs of the year on the Swedish radio, hoping that Depeche Mode would win. They never did. The Best I think they did was "Shake the Disease" which I think was about 4th in 1985. I think that song "Touch me touch me now" won it that year.

Anyway, here are some books I would include in my best of the year list if I were to make one (not including Action Books etc): Articulate How by Cathy Wagner, Aaron Kunin's novel and notebook selection, Fredrik Nyberg's Nio, nine, neun, neuf, Karl Larsson's Form/Force, Lisa Schmidt's Karrmunslbomma, Coeur de Lion by Ariana Reines, Alyson Singes by Caroline Bergvall, Bad Bad by Chelsey Minnis, Kapslar by Viktor Johansson, Men hur sma poeter finns det egentligen (best title of the year: But how small do poets really get) by Eva-Stina Byggmästar, Holy Land by Ron Klassnik, the Kara Walker retrospective at the Whitney, Efter Arbetschema by Johan Jönsson, a book whose title I don't remember by Sara Hallström, Sara Tuss Efrik's unpublished book of automanias, Violence by Slavoj Zizek, Hoover/Chernoff's Hölderlin, Saga/Circus by Lyn Hejinian, George Baker's Caught by the Tail (about Picabia), Miller/Prufer's New European Poetry, J. Reuben Appelman's Make Loneliness, Shorts are Wrong by Mike Topp, Hughson's Tavern by Fred Moten (and his chapboook), Unexplained Presence by Tisa Bryant, anon by Chris Pusateri, the big anthology of Greek Surrealism, Pure War by Paul Virilio, Ugly Duckling's 0-9 volume, the Ugly Duckling book by Elizabeth Reddin (is that her name?), and absolutely No Colony (edited by Blake Butler). Was Alma from this year? If so, put that one the list even though I've only read about 50 pages of it. And of course Clayton's Grindstone of Rapport.

I guess I read a lot of Swedish book this year. There are others but I have to go teach Haryette Mullen right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Johannes said...

Also, My Zorba by Danielle Pafunda

12:53 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

Actually my number one book was the exhibit of art by Congolese artist Bylex Puma at an African museum in Bryssels.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home