Saturday, June 27, 2009

Dylan Thomas

For some reason I just thought of this poem, one of my favorite poems though I haven't read it for years and years:


Twenty-Four Years

Twenty-four years remind the tears of my eyes.
(Bury the dead for fear that they walk to the grave in labour.)
In the groin of the natural doorway I crouched like a tailor
Sewing a shroud for a journey
By the light of the meat-eating sun.
Dressed to die, the sensual strut begun,
With my red veins full of money,
In the final direction of the elementary town
I advance as long as forever is.

Dylan Thomas

5 Comments:

Blogger Johannes said...

I should maybe add that the main reason I like it is his use of "elementary", suggesting the way death breaks us down into elements.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great poem! i've always been very fond of DT's work. . .

2:20 PM  
Blogger Ross Brighton said...

I like "the meat eating sun". And the rest of the poem. My Dad used to read me DT as a kid. I'll have to go back and look deeper.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Amish Trivedi said...

See, now I've always been a big fan of "sensual strut" - hot damn

12:28 AM  
Blogger Rauan Klassnik said...

The King!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home