Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Elias Fries

Although Ron Silliman and I have very little in common when it comes to aesthetics, I am strangely pleased that he today discusses a sentence that refers to my great great (etc) grandfather Elias Fries, mushroom taxonomist.

Members of my mom's family still occasionally go to the Fries Family reunion, though - as readers of this blog may recall from a few months ago - our connection to the family is dubious, as my grandmother's father was something of a black sheep of the family due to his morphine addiction, squandering of the family finances, and subsequent suicide. As a result my grandmother had to work as a maid of sort, taking care of the kids of a cousin.

And there were only more scandals from there on out (fascism, out of wedlock pregnancies etc).

3 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

A lovely coincidence. Also, Tony Lopez rocks.

You would do well to write a family memoir. Or a series of them, sounds like.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Kent Johnson said...

Johannes,

You're directly descended from Elias Fries?!?

I'm an (very) amateur mycologist, and Fries is one of my heroes!

Kent

11:38 AM  
Blogger Johannes said...

That's funny.

Yeah, the family still has Fries Family meetings. Sometimes people from my immediate family goes, though it was mainly my gramma who was into it.

J

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home