Friday, January 01, 2010

Kate Zambreno

has a wonderful new blog, "Frances Farmer Is My Sister," which promises to be my new favorite blog.

Here is an excerpt from her first post:

"I am like this with the authors I love, I claim my favorite male authors as female, or feminine. Genet, obviously, Cixous did that, but also Rilke to me is a female author (his mother did name him Rene Maria), and Fernando Pessoa is a female author, Artaud is female. It's not reverse sexism, it's just a game of genderbending I play in my head."

[Artaud as woman is what Joyelle did in her "Future" talk and that's something worth talking about, not the mindless jabber about whether it's new or not to write a manifesto, whether it is new or not *to write*.]

Also she likes one of my favorite films of all time, Dreyer's Joan of Arc. Not only a great film but a film with a history that is intriguing: how it was re-cut repeatedly, how the original burned down, how the second original was lost, how it was found decades later in an old mental institute in Norway.

Anyway, go read the whole thing. It's great.

2 Comments:

Blogger CLAY BANES said...

My list of 2010 books I'm eager to read is getting longer.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Kate's quote! He's so edgy!

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home