Friday, February 05, 2010

Patti Smith

[I love the new Patti Smith autobiography, Just Kids:]

"My treasured objects were mingled with the laundry. My work area was a jumble of manuscript pages, musty classics, broken toys and talismans. I tacked pictures of Rimbaud, Bob Dylan, Lotte Lenya, Piaf, Genet and John Lennon over a makeshift desk, where I arranged my quills, my inkwell, and my notebooks - my monastic mess."

And:

"...It had been raining anddroplets trickled down from his thick curls. He had on a white shirt, damp and sodden agianst his skin. Like Jean Genet, Robert was a terrible thief. Genet was caught and imprisoned for stealing rare volumes of Proust and rolls of silk from a shirt maker. Aesthetic thieves."

From Clement Greenberg's famous "Avant-Garde and Kitsch":

"... the Romantics can be considered the original sinners whose guilt kitsch inherited. They showed kitsch how. What does Keats write about mainly, if not the effect of poetry upon himself."

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Gage said...

I'm going to have to read this book, thanks...

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home