Friday, April 02, 2010

Chris Tonelli Interview

Here.

This one's funny:

"There is simply no way people in an average department have even heard of the small presses and journals we love. To them it must look like we’re just making up names of places to put on our CVs. I love when I have work in places called Kulture Vulture or Melancholia’s Tremulous Dreadlocks or Left-facing Bird. I can just imagine the look on some department head’s face as he peruses my CV, thinking, “Fou?”"

This quote is especially funny because I have Kulture Vulture and MTD on my CV, and I've had these kinds of experiences with the higher-ups.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Downey said...

We were in that issue of Kulture Vulture together. I look to these experiences with the higher-ups (I was bred for these experiences, in fact). Bring on the confusion and condescension.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I'm not an academic nor was I ever published in the short-lived Screens and Tasted Parallels, but reading this post makes me wish I were and had been.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

Well you can't really blame someone not involved in poetry when faced with journals. It's interesting to think of how the proliferation of small journals and presses really troubles the hierarchical rules of the academy.

Johannes

7:00 AM  
Blogger François Luong said...

I feel MTD helped me get fast-tracked into getting accepted at the SFSU MFA program...

11:37 AM  
Blogger John Gallaher said...

I had to supply URLs for several of mine. "What? Seriously? Is this s juried publication?"

I thought it was funny.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home