Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fashion vs Art (Rodarte, Art Forum)

[In his Art Forum article about the Rodarte label, John Kelsey ends with a statement that to me seems to recapsulate my argument with Ron Silliman from a while back, where he argued for a "structure" of resistance and against "fashionism" and I argued for an art that was more like fashion, more mobile. I'm not sure exactly what he means here, but it seems to point to something similar:]

"Not art, fashion prefers to haunt art. More mobile and exposed, in certain ways fashion remains the more effective means of processing the chaos of the present, probably because, as sociocultural mediator, it is itself already highly mediated and because, while sticking close to the body, it is ever so responsive to how quickly the ground shifts under its acid-treated zombie-vein heels."

2 Comments:

Blogger Max said...

I never understand what people mean when they say things like "chaos of the present." Is the present really all that "chaotic" after all? How so?

8:39 PM  
Blogger Johannes said...

They mean, I don't have the space to go into it.

J

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home